‘If we were meant
To stay in one place,
We’d have roots
Instead of feet,
Having been said that, you’ll (well, most of you) will agree with me that travelling in one’s life is very important. Traveling can make you a happier person by building self-confidence, providing new experiences and memories, and allowing you to meet people from all over the world. Travelling has elaborated towards becoming, these days, an essential part of our life.
So, how and why travelling is important? Let us count the ways
- It helps to boost your self-confidence- While travelling, regardless of the fact how much precisely you plan your trip, you always end up in an unexpected situation (well atleast I do, always!!!). However, there is always a way around the problem and knowing the fact that you can deal with these situations, gives a great boost to your self-confidence.
2. You learn to value your family and home- We often take things for granted, like our parents, friends and other near and dear ones. Staying away from them makes us realise there true worth. Also no one, except your family, enjoys listening to your envy-inducing travel stories.
3. You make new friends- When people are away from home, there happens to less boundaries to cross and you learn to make friends out of strangers and get more comfortable talking to new people. Also, social interactions make us happier and increases our social circle.
4. Means to Detox/ Destress- In this chaotic and frenzied environment, every individual is full of stress nowadays. And while travelling, you are away from the daily routine of your life and you see new things which gives you peace of mind. You feel completely relaxed. Also, a break now and then from social media is quite healthy for your mind!
5. Tend to become smarter- Unless you sit at a resort drowning your brain in frozen drinks, travel will teach you about the world. You’ll learn about people, history, and culture, and abstruse facts about places some people could only dream about. In short, you’ll have a better understanding about how it works and how people behave. That’s something that can’t be learned from books; you can only pick it up with on-the-road experience
6. Happiness is contagious- Travel simply makes you a happy person. You become more confident, smart, more relaxed. You see the world as a better and brighter place to live in. Travel makes people better people. When you learn more about the world and the people in it, push your boundaries, and try new things, you become a more open, outgoing, and awesome person. And this tends to also influence your surroundings and is definitely a good habit to take home.
7. Get to know yourself- You get to know a lot about yourself during travelling. You will find out how much you know/do not know about the world. You will be able to observe how you react in completely new situations. Having a moment to take advantage of peace and quiet and to simply ‘be’ allows us to let go of stress and tension and just enjoy being in the moment
8. More easy-going & adaptable- You all must have dealt with missed flights, slow buses, bad food and what not! After a while, you learn to adapt your plan according to the change in situation. You become more easy-going and relaxed. Why? Because you’ve dealt with all those errors and you don’t care. You go with flow now, because if travel taught you anything, it’s that it all works out in the end and that there’s no need to stress.
9. Reconnect with your partner- If you’re travelling with your wife, girlfriend, husband or whosoever this might just be the best way to reconnect with them. You get to see different places together, eat together, dance together, which will enhance your relationship with them even more and give it a new feel.
10. You become more active– When you go out for a vacation you are more likely to be doing activities like rafting, rock climbing, playing on the beach etc. Even if you don’t indulge in all the activities mentioned above, you would at least be walking more than usual. Travelling involves a lot of hectic work and will lead you to go from one place to another. It may be even possible that after coming back, you will be more active as a result of the travel.
11. Gives you unforgettable moments and experience- Some of the most cherished memories comes from travelling. When you travel, you experience things that seems impossible to experience when you are at home. Travelling gives you insights into various things, like the way you think, the way you confront your fears & the way you perceive various things. It makes you a happier person.
12. You get to eat different cuisines- Man! If you are a foodie like me, you must be getting what I am saying right now. I seriously live and travel for food. When to visit a new place or country, you are bound to come across some local food or cuisines that you haven’t tried before. The more you travel the more variety of food you will come across.
13. It provides you with stories that you can tell your grandchildren- I always think that will not be a boring, irritating grandmother to my grandchildren. I will be one of the coolest grandmother with a lil bit of swag and lot of inspiring stories to tell them. During travelling you experience the craziest, most exciting things that will eventually become great stories that you can tell others. When you grow old and look back at your life and all your travel experiences, you will realise how much you have done in your life and your life was not in vain.
With all the ways a trip can make you more of a fantastic person, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t be planning your next adventure now — whether it’s around the world or just a short, two-week vacation to any nearby place.
So stop being boring, and do something awesome.